Did you know that today is National Doughnut Day? No, seriously! It’s a real thing ! So what are you waiting for? Grab your delicious donuts and enjoy the crazy facts that come along.
1. The doughnut as we know it today, supposedly came to Manhattan under the Dutch name of olykoeks, meaning oily cakes.
2. As of 2011, 10 people in US have the last name as “Doughnut” or “Donut”.
Though its unclear whether “Doughnut” was their given last name, or whether they changed it out of passion for the pastry.
Meanwhile, 13 people have the first name “Donut,” making it the 245,396th most popular name in the United States
3. If a person added a doughnut a day to their regular diet, they would gain about one extra pound every 10 days.
4. The Guinness World Record for eating a jelly-filled doughnut fastest exists and is 33 seconds
5. Voodoo Doughnut ,an Oregon Doughnut shop in Portland famous for its crazy doughnut flavors ,for a while, even offered medicinal doughnuts, coated with NyQuil- and Pepto Bismol.
6. To ‘dunk your doughnut’ was allegedly introduced as a trend after actress Mae Murray accidently dropped one in her coffee.
7. Doughnuts were once declared “The Hit Food” of the century.
Because they were fresh and the automated machines made them quickly, they were cheap and became “a staple of the working class” during the Depression, according to Sally Levitt Steinberg, whose grandfather invented the doughnut machine.
8. The French used to call their doughnuts Pet de Nonne, which means “Nun’s Farts.”
9. Canada is said to have more doughnut shops per head of population than any other country.